Monday, November 9, 2009

A Grey's Take on To Err is Human



Hi, my name is Eva and I watch Grey’s Anatomy.

I started about three years ago with the hotly anticipated Season 2 Finale and have been addicted ever since. I have tried to stop and had hoped that a change in environment (back in school and no TV) would stop this unhealthy habit. But, I have been unsuccessful. In fact, I believe I have reached a new level of addiction.

At the end of every episode I watch, I have been able to extract a lesson to justify my time spent following the lives of the characters at Seattle Grace Hospital. I tell myself that these lessons learned will help me become a better doctor…

...But, do I feel safer or sense the improvements made whenever I interact with the health care system? As this episode of Grey's Anatomy demonstrates, tangible and measurable progress is probably still not yet within our grasp.

Once we get there, this episode should be rewritten. Seattle Grace will be a shining example of the transformation of the culture of medicine. All of the characters would not be individual heroes searching for glory, but would support each other in order to deliver better care for their patients. The Chief and hospital leadership would not bury mistakes like Mrs. Becker's death, but would take the time to identify root causes of the error and fix the system. And every single person would critically evaluate and make improvements to the complex work processes of delivering health care...

Click here to read the full post!

No comments:

Post a Comment