Wednesday, October 28, 2009

An Economics Lesson: Local Solutions



Because I now have less time to read things that don't look like textbooks and lecture notes, I've become a frequent podcast listener. Some of my favorite podcasts are This American Life, NPR's Fresh Air, IHI's podcast, and The 10th Wonder. I have about an eight minute walk to class, so a week of walking takes me through about two hour long podcasts!

After listening to two phenomenal This American Life podcasts coproduced by NPR's Planet Money team about the rising cost of health care, I've started listening to NPR's Planet Money podcast. One of the most recent NPR Planet Money podcasts is a short interview with Elinor Ostrom, the first woman to win the Nobel Prize for economics. The podcast describes her Nobel Prize winning work: qualifying the concept of The Tragedy of the Commons...

...Here's where the "IHI bells" began to ring in my head! Reforming or transforming health care probably operates on the same principle...

See the IHI Open School Blog for the full post!

No comments:

Post a Comment