Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Gift of Stories

...My first year of medical school was defined by the time I spent in anatomy. I spent hours probing through various anatomical structure and yet I feel like I only scratched the surface in my pursuit of medical scholarship. But what I did larn during those hours in anatomy lab, as I slowly built an intimate rapport with my first patient, was the invaluable lesson of the joy and fulfillment gained through listening to the stories of every bump, kink, and scar. It is the magnetic draw for these patient narratives that led me to inevitably mature from the dangerous narratives of attempting surgical procedures on myself to attending medical school and working towards becoming a doctor. Your special gift, my first patient narrative, is one that will always stay with me as I continue to learn and never stop listening...

Delivered at the University of Michigan Medical School Anatomical Donations Memorial Service (Sept. 15, 2010)

Click here to read more on the IHI Open School Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment